Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Through The Years







When I was young my mother wasn’t big on Halloween. She thought it was against religious beliefs. Once again, I did not and still do not believe her. I do not like the grim reaper and the sexy costumes for little girls and a multitude of costumes I don’t like. However, I have donned some cute, scary and stupid costumes through the years.

Forty two years ago I dressed as Aunt Jamima with the help of my neighbor. It seems to me that it took days to get my facial make up off.
The next costume I remember was the scary one. My children whined because for some reason they couldn’t go trick or treating or go to a party or something. I am sure when my children read this, they will remember that it was all my fault! I also think that when they read this they will remember this house party with fond memories. We had our own party at home, with a huge angel food cake with a skeleton candle in the middle of it. It was such fun!



Through the years I have dressed up as clowns for the residents of nursing homes. They tend to get scared of costumes other than clowns and other costumes like hobos etc. You see the picture of me in a black leather jacket, I was dressed as the Fonz, the jacket must have weighed 50 lbs.
I remember going to house parties dressed up. I remember year before last going to a Halloween party at a club that Fran and I belong to. It was to be held the day after Halloween for some reason. So I dressed up as a deer hunter in Fran’s hunting clothes. I was the only one dressed up when I walked in the club!! I was so embarrassed, I wanted the floor to open up for me, hunting outfit and all. It seems that my life has been periodically quite full of these little experiences that are quite memorable. After that I have periodically wondered if that was just a little "joke" on Lu Anne!
Last year I wore an orange T-shirt with a pumpkin on it. I wasn’t about to take any chances. The picture is of my friend who absolutely loves Maxine the cartoon character and me. Didn’t she do a great job dressing like her? Right down to the slippers.

1 comment:

  1. Mark just told me how he loves that I dress up. I loved that about you, too.

    ReplyDelete