Sunday, October 11, 2009

A New Version Of "31"





My brother and his wife came to visit last week. I had so much fun. It reminded me of days gone by. However, I was a bit surprised that we didn’t talk of the old days that much. After I thought about it for awhile, we didn’t need to because of all the posting I have been doing for the last ten months. The times we talked of the old days was when I served food in dishes that mom had served food in. We talked about cereal bowls, cut glass bowl that she always served cranberry sauce in etc. It is interesting what sparks a person’s memory bank and makes you smile.
Well, one night we all (except Keith) sang karaoke. I’m sure he didn’t want to show off. Linda sang beautifully and seemed to really enjoy it. She went through Fran’s case with a multitude of cd’s in it and picked out songs she wanted to sing. It was so fun.
On Thursday night we played a game called thirty one. This game is similar to Black Jack. You have to have to have an Ace and two face cards to add up to thirty one. Well, Linda won the practice game, and lost the next two games. Hmm, she looked quite discouraged. All of a sudden she started winning. Mike had won the first game, Fran won the second game, and Linda won all the rest. The game has no ante, but for every time you lose a game you throw in a quarter. Linda won seven dollars. She was grinning from ear to ear. Are you wondering how many games Keith and I won? None, we financed Linda and Mike and Fran. I just don’t think that is right, it was my house. Notice a pile of discarded cards. This drove Linda nuts if they weren't straightened so you could see the top card, so Mike helped her keep that nice and neat with some teasing comments.
Keith spent the majority of one day updating my computer, hooking up my new printer to my laptop, so I can be extraordinarily lazy and continue to sit in my chair in the living room and print something out. He also taught me how to send documents back and forth to my desktop computer to my laptop and vise versa. Very difficult for me to grasp but I finally mastered it yesterday when the house was quiet and could read all the directions Keith had left me. However, you must understand I wrote the directions down so they lacked some tiny little things that I had to figure out on my own.
Keith wanted to do the same thing for my friend, but it rained over seven inches and flooded the roads so we had to stay home.
Then there was Linda teaching me how to use my camera to take pictures of a group without missing one of the people that has to take the picture. I was so impressed that I could do that, so I went to my friend to teach her. The first one I took was perfect. Couldn’t do it after that. I guess if all else fails read the instruction book!
I did have to laugh while they were here, I heard Linda say every once in awhile, “Be careful, Keith, this will probably be published!
My brother is the spitting image of my father. I found myself looking for things in his face that my dad didn’t have; I couldn’t find any.
I wish my mother and father could have been here to hear us teasing and yelling like we used to when we were about thirty years younger. You know, that really is a different version of “31.” There are no losers at that game, only winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment