Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mrs. Magoo




As most of you know I have M.S. Some of you know or may not know is tha t a side effect of M.S. is vision problems. I have totally lost my vision twice within the last few years. It did not last long, but it was enough to scare me that it might happen while I was driving, so I stopped driving. Not long after the last episode I started having trouble reading, playing the piano and using the computer. I would have to take someone with me to go shopping because I couldn’t see the prices. My disease had progressed so rapidly I couldn’t stoop over to see the tags on the shelves either. My friend saved my life by making me laugh about getting a seeing eye dog to take in the store with me. The reason that was funny was that for the most part I could see fine. I frequently had to leave my purchases in the cart because I couldn’t stand long enough to “check out”.
After some time had passed I had my eyes checked to see how much damage M.S. had done to the optic nerve. What the most problem was was cataracts. I had both eyes operated on. After the first eye was done, there was no change. I cried. I thought everything that I loved doing was to be no more. The depression weighed heavy on my shoulders. There was only one thing left to do. That was to give my problems to God. I did that frequently when I had a problem child when he was in his teens. I was not strong enough to do it on my own. That night at ten o’clock my vision returned. I cried and cried, and told God that it was okay if my vision did not return after surgery in the other eye. I was just so grateful that one eye worked. I called my friend and told her the good news. She cried as well. My other surgery turned out just fine. I was truly blessed.
As time has gone by, my episodes of M.S. have gotten better, gotten worse. At times I need to be reminded that I even have the dreaded disease. Then something happens like this morning, that tells me, “yup, I’ve got it!” Those of you that read my posts are aware that my brother and his wife visited a few weeks ago. I wanted every thing nice and clean, so I cleaned as best I could. Heavy cleaning is beyond me anymore.
This morning I cleaned the bathroom then took a shower. For some reason I looked up and discovered a cobweb that went from the ceiling to a housecoat that I had not worn for a long time. The first thing I thought of was “Oh no!” What ever did they think?’ The only thing I hope was that they didn’t look up and that they came to see me and not my house. I think the latter is true. Most times being Mrs. Magoo is fine but not when you are having company.
P.S. I came out to the kitchen and was ranting and raving about the cobweb and Fran just grinned and said, "Oh yeah, I saw that." There are times that you just wonder......

No comments:

Post a Comment