Thursday, October 29, 2009

There Is A Mouse In The House





When I was a little girl we had mice because I remember my dad taking tin cans and tin snips and cutting circles out of them. Dad then took the tin circles put a fold in them and nailed them to the floor and wall to prevent those little critters from creeping out to get any crumbs available. We lived in a very old house that was not insulated and a person could see outside in some places that provided a perfect place for mice to get in where it was warm.
I lived out on a farm a few years ago. That house was almost impossible to keep the mice at bay. It just drove me crazy with traps and poison. I would have to wash and rewash everything. All the other houses except one were mouse free.
When I decided to write this post I thought what I would do was write a poem instead of a post. I asked the computer how many words rhyme with mouse. My goodness there was a bunch so a regular post it is.
The season is fall and chilly outside, this is the season for pumpkins, cornstalks, and mums and beautiful leaves. It is also the season for mice. A few posts ago I mentioned that this house that I live in has never had a mouse in it until three days ago. I sit in my recliner with my laptop on my lap and watch tv, write my stories and occasionally look out into the kitchen. Well there was this little rodent actually taking his time WALKING across the scatter rug. The one thing that saved me was that Fran saw it too.
This time there was no argument about what I saw. My vision problems at times make me see things that are not there. How to get rid of our little guest took a lengthy discussion. Fran thinks that they are cute. I think they are disgusting. Then Maggie came into the picture as far as keeping her safe from poison and poisoned mice, traps, sticky pads and on and on. Fran finally came up with something that should be satisfactory with all three of us. I did not see the house guest that trotted on the same scatter rug three nights running, and the same time of night last night, so hopefully we now have a No Vacancy in our Mouse Hotel that will never be changed to Vacancy.
A house with a mouse is a house that does not have a happy spouse. I just couldn’t resist.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree MORE with that last sentence. I just freak out about those critters ... thinking about how gross it is that they are peeing and pooping on all my stuff... AND ... now I REALLY have a problem with them: we used to have barn cats but now we haven't had them for years. So we have mice all around -- we are surrounded by farm land -- and so they have taken to chewing the wires in my car! Arrrggghhh. NOT NICE, YOU MICE!

    ReplyDelete