Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Don't Bite It In The Middle




When I was a little girl we lived on a farm in Iowa. My dad milked a few cows and was a grain farmer. We were poor but we always had enough food to eat. My mother always baked homemade bread for us to eat as well as the bread and rolls she made to sell at the grocery store.

As a special treat she would buy peanut butter at the grocery store and would make us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The jelly or jam that we had was homemade and absolutely delicious. She would slather butter on the bread that was about three quarters of an inch thick and then the peanut butter and then the jam or jelly. The sandwich was a double Decker She would  give us an ice cold glass of milk to go along with it of course. Sometimes my dad would join us for our snack. I loved my dad so much, but I didn’t want him to join us then. He was a sticker about two things, I couldn’t sing at the table and I couldn’t bite my peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the middle. He just didn’t understand how delicious it was when you did that. You see when mom put the jelly on the bread the majority of it would migrate to the middle, therefore, when I took a big bite in the middle I got jelly squirting out of both sides of my mouth and both ends of  my sandwich. Oh I can just taste it now. As a matter of fact, I can. I just had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and ate it just exactly the way I wanted it and it was slathered with butter too. I do not want to visit about high cholesterol today, either. Uhm, it was so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment