Thursday, January 7, 2010

Retirement





Our friends for the most part are retired. If they aren’t retired, they are married to a spouse that is.

I was one of many baby boomers that did not think it was necessary to have a 401k etc. etc. I had always had a good job, but had not made good investments.

There was one thing, however, that I was passionate about. That one thing was that I should have a house in my name that would be paid for before I retired. In order to do that, I would have to look in a little bedroom type small town to be able to pay for it in three years. A few years prior to this “feeling” I had bought forty acres of land and sold it for a large profit. I used that money to remodel my “new” little house. On the month that the last payment was due, my ex-husband left me. Thank goodness, I had that “feeling.”

Now that I am retired, I rent that little house for a small income to help my very small social security. Smaller now in 2010 than in any other year, because the government says that there is no cost of living increase. If that is true, why are the members of congress entitled to a cost of living increase in their pay checks? I love living in the United States. I think that we live in the best country in the world, but I do have difficulty understanding some things especially why my check is smaller and my bills are higher. That sounds like an increase to me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I do fear retirement :S It seems like I do everythign I'm told... own a house, it will go up in value and be a great investment... yeah right...
    put your money into stocks, they are a great investment... went down too...
    Get a good job and you will go far... companies are laying off left and right...
    scarey!
    good luck to you. If you want to try serious couponing to save money, I know some good websites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, I have time to do that now, we have been watching the mom that bought a hundred dollars of food for a quarter today. should try it.

    ReplyDelete