Friday, January 29, 2010

A Yummy Inexpensive Experiment








As most of you know, Fran and I love to go to a flea market/farmer’s market about eight miles from here. It is good exercise for me. Some days I have to use my cane, and some days I don’t need it. The flea market is always on Tuesdays, often rain or shine. Usually we are there with me complaining about how dumb we are.

Last fall about the last Tuesday before winter arrived the produce truck had Yukon Gold potatoes on sale for five dollars for fifty pounds. Can you imagine our good luck! Fran and I worked and worked making French fries and American fries and hash browns for the freezer. Those potatoes are so very good.

A few weeks ago I happened onto a meat sale that was smoked pork chops for eighty nine cents a pound in ten pound boxes, so I bought twenty pounds. Well, that was an ooops! That happens sometimes you know. They were so thin and so thick and some were all hide. I knew I could make soup out of them, but Fran doesn’t like beans and ham. Today I went out to the freezer to get something for supper. There were the boxes of smoked pork chops and bags of frozen potatoes. I brought them into the house, thawed them out, cut the pork chops in chunks, chopped onion and put them in the bowl, mixed mushroom soup and milk and poured that over the potatoes and ham. To finish it off I put slices of Velveeta cheese over the top and baked it for an hour. Oh yummy! I am so happy I thought of that because that will empty out the boxes of chops. Fran was surprised that is was not ham. I am so happy that I could fix the ooops.

1 comment:

  1. Well the oops turned out GOOD and Yummy! Have a great weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete