Saturday, January 23, 2010

Thank You Reader's Digest For The Nudge!







Well, I never thought that I would be writing a blog a year ago. I didn’t know what a blog was a year ago. I am an avid reader of the Reader’s Digest and one day they were suggesting that people with interesting lives should write their memoirs. They explained that memoirs do not have to be in exact order. I sat there in my chair and thought about if I had had an interesting life. I knew I had had a very blessed life, with three healthy children and was well taken care of as far as being warm and fed and loved by my parents and siblings. All of my grandchildren were born healthy and ornery and funny. That was the key, I wanted my children and grandchildren to get to know me better than they did then. I knew if something happened to me those stories would be gone forever.

I knew nothing about starting and creating a blog. I felt like I was trudging through thick mud with my dad’s five buckle overshoes on. Oh, it was so difficult. Once I had it done, I emailed the news to my brother. He wrote back and said that he had looked several times and couldn’t see it. He finally found it. I had to change the address. I knew nothing about it.

The next thing I had to master and am still trying to master is my spelling, sentence structure and grammar. Thank goodness for spell check.

The stories I started writing the first part of the year were about my ancestors and the settling of the little town outside of where I was raised. I thought they would be interested in those.

The most response I got were the stories I wrote about Cherokee, Iowa where I went to school. I had pictures of my schoolmates and of the many things my friends and I did there. My kids needed to know that yes, their mom played tennis and went roller skating. Imagine that!

Well, today marks my one year and two days of stories. I was sick all summer, so I didn’t get to write much then and I really missed it. Today also is my three hundredth post. I want to thank you so much for reading. I love seeing you on the stat counter and on the maps showing me where you live. You make my life happy and fulfilled. Thanks again for filling in the gaps that my loving family and friends left just for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment