Monday, May 4, 2009

Joey And The Raspberries




I don’t know if you’re like me, but it doesn’t take much to make me nostalgic. Melanie put a post on one of my stories the other day that there used to be an cassette tape of my trip with Rosie. Well, I looked to no avail. I searched and searched. That tape probably was at Rosie’s house when she died, and tossed. Well, while I was looking, I did find a cassette of Wally and the kids and I at the zoo when they were really little. I thought perhaps that the trip to Kentucky was on the back side of it, but it wasn’t. I had just recently made some cd’s of the zoo trip for the kids, but I listened to it again today and got tears. The trip was about thirty seven or thirty eight years ago, but listening to their little voices it made it seem like yesterday. Wally and I didn’t have a video camera and didn’t take that many pictures. I wish we could have afforded to do things like that, but we have that recording of our children.
I did smile while I listened this morning, my voice is just about identical to my mother’s. I used the same terminology and the timbre of my voice was the same. I am so glad that I did that.
Now days the young parents have access to such wonderful high tech things to preserve their children’s voices and antics. My advice to them is “do it” as often as you can.
Today is just a short little story about Joey and his cousin, Stacey. They were only about six months apart in age. What one didn’t think of the other one did. I don’t have a picture of Stacey, but this is a picture of Melanie and Joey standing in front of the fence where a few minutes later, Joey and Stacey went exploring with no supervision.
We were all at Wally’s brother’s house visiting outside with our kids. After a bit I said aloud, “I wonder where Joey is.” We started searching behind this fence because we could hear little voices. Behind the fence was a huge patch of red raspberries. When they came out Joey and Stacey’s faces were stained with raspberry juice. Joey grinned and me and said, “Good strawberries, Mama.” Priceless.

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen this picture! I love it! I was so slim! Don't think my daughter will be. lol And you've inspired me to break out the video camera.

    ReplyDelete