Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lemonade Out Of Lemons



M. R. I.'s are necessary to show the neurologist if M.S. is increasing, and if so where in my brain that is happening. Magnetic Resonance Imaging is such a romantic expression for a horror chamber. This time, however, the neurologist wanted my brain done twice with and without contrast, my neck, my middle spine, and my lower spine.
When I was first diagnosed, my best friend just couldn’t understand how the doctor could tell and diagnose what I had. I told her the M.R.I. made the lesions look like stars and planets in the universe. That is exactly what they look like, then when I walk around a corner too fast or roll over in bed, I tell the doctor I feel like a fish in a fish bowl of slopping water.
Anyway getting ready to go to the hospital Friday, I was really grumpy. I did have about a half cup of coffee even though I knew I shouldn’t. They won’t let you stop for a potty break. Thank goodness it was a shorter test than normal. I don’t understand why because there were three more tests than normal.
I wore a sweatshirt to the hospital because it is so cold in there. Then they give you ear plugs so your brains don’t get blown out by the noise of the machine. I was going to bring home a pamphlet that explained the noise. They called it a soft thumping noise. Ha! They have you lay on a very narrow “bed” that slides into the machine, they put a plastic hockey type face mask over you. The most important thing you must remember is to close your eyes. If you don’t close your eyes, you suddenly realize that there is only about four inches between your nose and the top of the chamber. While I was waiting for the test to begin, I decided to make lemonade out of lemons. The clicking started and I decided to memorize the sounds for those of you that have not had one of these tests.
The first sound you hear is a clicking, that gives you a false sense of security no matter how many of these that you have had. Then the next sound you hear is a banging on a tribal drum, then it gets really creative and adds a chord. There is also a funeral dirge sound. While this is all going on you wonder about the pamphlet they give to innocent patients. The banging and clattering sounds were normal to me after all these I have had. I also figured that out while I was in the chamber. I figured that at two thousand dollars a piece I have cost the federal government and my insurance company about twenty thousand dollars just for that one test.
Then the itching started. Do any of you realize how often you flick your nose during the course of the day? Well in the chamber you can’t flick, you can’t move. Then I had an itch on my head, and the worst one was in my arm pit on my left side. I thought I would lose my mind. I thought that I would cheat and do just a little scratching and found that my right hand that was on the emergency ball was numb and couldn’t move. Those of you that know me really well, know that I was not a happy camper. I really wanted to tell some people off, but couldn’t choose a culprit. Suddenly something happened that had never happened before. The whole machine started to howl and shake and shudder. I didn’t know if the technician was in the room or not, but I was pretty much horrified. Then I was rolled out and given an IV and told only six more minutes. I was so relieved, because remember I had had some coffee!
I was pretty much out of commission yesterday, better today and should be off and running tomorrow. Hope you missed me!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it's better to know what's coming, and dread it like the dickens, or go in there not knowing! They say the fear and stress of the unknown is worse, so thanks for warning me. HOPE I never have to have one of those. But you are a pro at it now!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete