Thursday, May 7, 2009

White Sauce




My mother made the best white sauce. She melted real butter that she had churned herself, then she put a heaping tablespoon of flour in the pan and stirred it into the butter until the mixture became a very smooth paste. Beside the pan she had a cup or two of milk that she added to the melted butter flour mixture a little at a time. When the milk was all added she simmered it on the stove and it ended up being a gravy or what she called, “White Sauce.” Mother had no cans of cream of mushroom soup, or cream of anything soup. I told my daughter not too long ago I could not cook if I didn’t have cream of mushroom soup. Well, that is not entirely true. There is one thing I can make with my own version of white sauce.
The first thing I do is go to the grocery store and buy a good brand of dried beef. The next thing I do is tear the dried beef into shreds, then I add it to the white sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes. While that is simmering, I make toast, my mother used to make mashed potatoes, some ladies make biscuits. For those of you that know what this dish is called, just use the initials in the comment section. See what you started, Keith?

3 comments:

  1. Well... The proper term is SOS.

    The Navy had a fairly high class menu when it came to breakfast.

    We had white SOS as well as red SOS.

    The red SOS presented itself on a breakfast tray much closer in substance to its name.

    The red uses a tomato and onion and other stuff sauce that's poured over cooked crumpled hamburger meat.

    Yummmee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds so disgusting Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that though it's delicious, it's called SOS. I would need saving today if I ate it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete