Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day/Decoration Day




My family always celebrated Memorial Day with a picnic. Now that’s how I remember it. My first memory was of real flowers being put on the graves. Then when I was a teenager artificial peonies were put on the graves and to tell the truth they never looked shoddy.
At the picnics at the park, mother gave only a sparse history lesson of our family and it’s soldiers. Our family had more pioneers than soldiers, but that’s ok, we needed pioneers then too.
We used to mark Memorial Day as the day it was okay to wear white shoes, the beginning of summer, unofficially.
Oh one thing I do remember distinctly was always getting lost in the cemetery. Rosie and Mom would always argue and I would always grin in the back seat.
One Memorial Day I was helping get the artificial peonies out of the trunk. I told Mom that they almost smelled real. She smiled and said, “It’s my perfume.” She liked to tell that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment