Sunday, March 22, 2009

Could I Have Your Autograph?






Autographs were something I used to collect. Young people, especially girls, always had an autograph book in their desk so that they could quickly whip it out for the “famous” person to sign, hopefully with a rhyme or verse to accompany their signature. It seems that the “book” was mostly popular in the lower grades, possibly through junior high. I know that the year book was used in high school for just that reason.
While digging though Mom’s Memory Box, I found two autograph books. One book was started in February 3,1927. The first entry was a Bible verse. I have a feeling she got this particular book for her birthday, which was February 2nd. My mother graduated from high school when she was sixteen. The picture above was her high school graduation picture.
A must for an autograph book was a collection of teachers’ autographs. I think my mother was liked by her teachers, albeit for personality or for her good grades. It would be nice to know that it was both. I do know this, that the majority of her student friends were not happy that she was going to be a teacher. I think it is especially interesting that teachers were extremely underpaid then as well as in modern times. This economic problem was mentioned in her autograph book.
This is a short verse that one teacher entered October 3, 1927:
“Here’s to that future day, when I may proudly say, she was one of my students. May Dame Fortune always smile on you, but not her daughter, Miss Fortune.” Signed Joel Shepherd
In high school, Mom was called Gladys very seldom, but mostly Gladie and Zo, and Zoie. Mother’s middle name was Zoe.
The last page of this particular autograph book made me chuckle and shake my head. Mother had typical kids just like the rest of us. The picture shows that Rosie, my sister, practiced her handwriting on the back two pages of the book. What a keepsake.
The other autograph book has very few entries in it. It has a gold emblem on the front that looks like the old Wilson School. The entries all referred to Mom in Speech Class and what a good arguer she was.
I always wondered where Melanie (my daughter) got the strange ability to argue and win and get the last word in. If Mom was here I would say, “Thanks a lot, Mom.” And of course, Mom would say, “You’re welcome.” and smirk at me, just daring me to argue with her. She, also, liked to get the last word in.

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen any pictures of Grandma so young. Thanks again for posting these.

    ReplyDelete