Monday, March 2, 2009

A Cowboy Came To Visit




We had moved to our second house in town. The house was on the highway which was not a perfect place to live, but it was a vast improvement over the little house on Maple Street which was the little house we originally had moved into.
As time went by some people built an A&W Root Beer drive in across the street. That drive in became a hang out for teenagers. A small glass of root beer in a frosty mug was a nickel. A large mug was a dime. They had tables and booths and a jukebox. The fifties were a fun time. Our friends would go there and gossip and drink root beer and look at the new fashions that girls wore and, of course, look for cute boys.
One night a cowboy with a big cowboy hat was there. Hmm I thought, he is cute. I knew that was not a good thing because I could tell he was a lot older than I was. I was only fourteen and he was in his twenties.
One night he walked across the street to my house. He saw me turn my bedroom light on. I was sleeping in a sunroom/porch in the summer. I saw him outside and, of course, I was thrilled. He leaned against the fence and started strumming a guitar that he had brought with him.
He sang a song called, “Pick Me Up On Your Way Down.”
That was the most beautiful song I had ever heard. I was instantly in love. I saw him at the A&W after that, and one time he kissed me. My first Kiss. Then the unthinkable happened, My father saw him outside. He had a flippin’ fit!! That was my first and only fight with my father. I never saw that cowboy again, he was on a construction team that had been working in my town. When I think about it, I would have had a fit if my daughter would have had the same thing happen, but I still think about him, he would be in his seventies or eighties by now.
Over the years, I tried and tried to find the music to that song, asked different bands to play it, all to no avail. This last year in 2008 I found the music in karaoke and now I sing it. In my mind I am always singing it to him, the mystery cowboy.

3 comments:

  1. Alright!! Now we're getting to the good stuff! :) It has certanly been an exciting journey being your little brother. I remember that guy and his guitar, and I remember a lot of yelling. I think I missed Dad's "flipp'n fit" though. That would of been something to watch!
    It was a great A&W, huh? The world just happened there - and it was just across the street!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that song before. I think Mom had a version with Faron Young singing it, if its the song I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, yeah. Today he'd be arrested. LOL

    ReplyDelete