Thursday, March 12, 2009

Twelve? Blind Mice





When we lived on the farm we heated our house with coal and kerosene. The coal was used for the heater in the dining room and cobs for one cook stove in the kitchen and kerosene for another.
The coal shed was just a few feet away from the kitchen door. The coal was put in a coal bucket and brought in for burning. My brother had seen this done many times.
He was about three years old this particular day when he went visiting the coal shed.
I went outside too, but paid little attention to him. I certainly wasn’t going to go into that filthy place. As I remember it I think I had a friend over to play. We were on the back step when all the screaming started.
My little brother, Keith, was dressed In striped overalls just like my dad wore. He was screaming like he was having a fit. He was dancing, but he was crying. I didn’t know what the matter was so I went inside to get my mom.
She immediately undressed him. I guess she could tell there was something inside his overalls. There were a dozen little bitty blind mice crawling up and down his legs. He evidently had disturbed a nest of baby mice. I bet he remembers that even though he was so little. That had to be traumatic. If that had happened to me I think I would have had to have been institutionalized.

2 comments:

  1. Now that explains a lot. Just kidding Uncle Keith! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little critters just love me! Thirty years later when we were living in Virgina Beach, I saw one of those little buggers run across our living room floor and before I could do anything - you guessed it - it ran up my pant's leg. There is no feeling like little mouse claws running up your leg!! Urrrr!
    There may be truth to your comment, Mel. Twice in one life time can truly effect someone. :)

    ReplyDelete