Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The North Vs. The South







I was raised in Iowa, then I lived in South Dakota for over thirty years. Then in a flick of a horse tail moved to Missouri. Actually, it was not a flick, it was caused by a blizzard that laid down eighteen inches of snow in October. My husband, at that time called me from Miami and told me that it was eighty three degrees and beautiful. I told him we were going to visit when he got home.
I have lived in Missouri for over seventeen years. I still can’t get used to it. For instance, this morning I was having coffee with my husband listening to the news. The weather came on and the man said, “It will be partneared eighty degrees today.” Give me a break. “partneared?” When we moved to Missouri, my youngest son needed special education and that included special attention to his reading and spelling. I met with his teacher that talked with a drawl and pronounced potatoes ; “taters.” I immediately asked him how he expected my son to spell when he didn’t know how to talk. Well as you can imagine we didn’t always see eye to eye. I was soon to find out that Mike’s teacher was amazing. It is interesting how things change in our minds. Last night I went “blog hopping.” I had an absolute ball, however, it made me think about moving to Missouri, only I was the person that talked with a drawl and not a bit sophisticated. These ladies were so talented and creative. Their English was clipped and perfect. One lady was from London and the other was from Sydney, Australia. I sat in my recliner in my messy living room and my dusty furniture looking at pictures of their white sofas and perfectly “thrown” cushions and wondered what they would think if they moved to Missouri and heard me say we were having “taters” for supper, would you like to join us?

1 comment:

  1. Your writing keeps getting better and better all the time. Next you'll be trying to take my writing gigs. ;-)

    ReplyDelete