Friday, March 20, 2009

What's/ Who's/ Or Behind That Green Door?




My first dance was at the new Cherokee Youth Center. I was fifteen years old. Oh, it was so exciting. There were pool tables, jukebox, tables and chairs, and a soda bar, where you could order sodas, but we called it pop.
There was also a dance floor Someone put a nickel in the jukebox and the song, that we called “Green Door” started to play. Oh, how I loved that song. I just now looked it up on LimeWire, not expecting it to still be available, but much to my surprise it is. I was sitting here at my desk, chair dancing to it. I still love it.
In the fifties as it is now, it was perfectly admissible for two girls to dance together. That was in the era of American Band Stand. I watched that occasionally when my parents weren’t watching something else. But, I had never danced before. So, it was to the tune of Green Door, I tried out my dance steps for the first time with my best friend, Joan Montgomery.
 I was thinking just how graceful I was when I started dancing. In my mind’s eye my foot was thoroughly arched to the toes, then down to the ball of my foot and twisted like I was killing a bug, then slammed down on my heel; that completed one step then off to the next foot.
Over time, other songs became my favorites, but I will never forget how much fun dancing to that song was. By the way, I became a much better dancer, or so I am told.

No comments:

Post a Comment