Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spewing?





I love to laugh. There is a particular part of my brain that sends me mental images when people tell me a story. At times this makes me laugh because I can actually see what had happened in their story, other times, it catches me off guard, the laughter comes when I am eating or drinking, and the spewing starts.
The spewing is an automatic reaction to humor that I have no control over. The dictionary says that spewing is to “gush forth”. I have gushed forth many times in my life.
One day my kids’ dad and I were driving home from work. It was about a half hour drive. We decided to stop at a country gas station to get a soda. Wally got the sodas, handed me mine, and we continued on our way. As was the usual case, I talked, he drove, and I looked at the countryside on the way home. I had said something to him that I thought he should have answered and he didn’t. I waited a while and said it again. Again he didn’t answer me. I looked at him, and he had his glasses in one hand while he was driving. He lifted them to his mouth and was licking them. They and his face were covered with my orange soda.
Evidently, when I opened my soda, I had pointed it in his direction. It had exploded and flew clear across the car and covered him with it’s sticky orange liquid. I spewed!!!
The funny part of this whole situation was, that he never said a word, just licked off the soda. That day has been relived in my mind for over thirty years. I am still laughing as I write this.
I have had the opportunity to marry two very quiet men that were very much alike. They say little, but absorb much that goes on around them.
The other day Fran got himself a glass of milk and brought it into the living room. That night we had decided to eat our supper in the living room and watch the news. I had not gotten myself anything to drink. As most couples do, we often share what we eat and drink. I just quietly reached for his milk and took a drink. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him reach for his milk while he was watching television. He groped for it without looking, over and over. It struck me so funny, I spewed with a big mouthful of milk; all over my stir fry, the plate, and the little trash can by our chairs. Fran quietly said, “ I would have given you some if you would have asked.”
Life goes on, I will probably continue to spew. I could tell more stories, but they are mostly preempted with alcohol related tales. Of course, nothing like that happens anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the giggles. I was at a DQ with Lori once and there was the funniest looking old man sitting behind us and of course Lori kept making all kinds of wisecracks about him. Pretty soon I was laughing so hard I had chocolate shake coming out of my nose. Of course, nothing like that ever happens anymore. LOL

    ReplyDelete