Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cod Liver Oil And Milk





When I was in elementary school, we were given cod liver oil pills and a box or a glass jar of milk, I think in the afternoon. It was kind of fun to have a break. I liked to take the pill and pop it with my teeth and chew on the “skin” of it and wash it down with milk.
Cod liver oil helps the human body especially the young folks grow up to be strong and healthy. I think that is interesting because just at this time we are hearing so much about fish oils are the healthy oils for us. When you look up cod liver oil it contains the omega-3 fatty acids, preformed Vitamin A and Vitamin D and numerous other things. It helps build strong bones in children, and also is good for a child’s brain and nervous system. That was sixty years ago. Do you think that they really knew what cod liver oil could do? I don’t remember hearing about “don’t eat this, don’t eat that.” I remember my mother using lard for frying and for pie crust. Lard is extremely hard on our arteries of course. We know that now, not then.
Just another grade school memory.

1 comment:

  1. There was a kid in our class who didn't like to take his cod liver oil pills, so he just lifted up his desk top and put them in his pencil tray. I can remember looking over and not seeing ANY pencils in his pencil tray -- just a very long line of cod liver oil pils.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete