Monday, June 1, 2009

Mother Goose Catastrophe




It was not until today that I realized that Mother Goose was a real person. I always thought she was a fairy tail type person that children loved to read about or hear stories about.
In actuality I think she lived in the 1600’s or so and was a widow with six children. She married Mr. Goose who had ten children, then he died and she moved in with her daughter. Oh I just bet her daughter was thrilled.
Mrs. Goose loved children and enjoyed telling them stories and little rhymes. The story goes that one of her son-in-laws thought that there might be a market for these little jingles and stories. There you have the beginning of Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes; at least my version. I tell you all of this to preface a story that happened to me many many years ago, I believe in Miss Hanson’s second grade class. She chose Joan Montgomery and me to act out a Mother Goose story. Which one I do not remember, however, I especially remember that Joan played the part of Mother Goose. I so do wish I could remember what part I played because Mother Goose was furious with me.
We did our little skit in front of the class so everyone could see. Lucky me. Well, Joan came at me with her arms waving like an angry goose would. As she walked towards me I backed up and ker plunk I fell in Miss Hanson’s waste
Paper basket. My bottom down, my arms and legs up and my pride completely demolished.
Joan and I were talking about that the other day and how long it took to get a chubby little girl out of that wastepaper basket.

4 comments:

  1. Somewhere alone the line your pride must have recovered. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Melanie, my pride never did recover. I haven't talked to Joan for 30 years and one of the first things she said was do you remember falling into the wastepaper basket? Hrrr!,

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of my favorite childhood memories!!! Lu fell into the wastepaper basket so squarely that she would have never gotten out without help!!! I was laughing so hard that I think I was crying!!! It is fun to remember with you and I still love you!!!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, Joan when were you laughing so hard you were crying when you read the post or when you saw my legs and arms in the air when I was stuck in the wastepaper basket forty years ago. If I was to answer that question myself, I would say both times. lol

    ReplyDelete