Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Stolen Moment Of Chocolate Bliss






The other day my friend and I were going to a little town to have our nails done. She was driving and I was gawking. That is an advantage of not being able to drive. I saw a thirty something mom sitting in front of a house eating a candy bar. Watching her take that bite, almost hurled me into a time warp of the early seventies when my time was not my own.
Any young mom knows that when you have young children they need and deserve your time and attention. Any young mom also knows that when you eat something both your children and your dog if you have one, wants what you have.
Any young mom knows that when a nickel for a candy bar is hard to come by there are some moments caused by the devil that sits on the shoulder opposite of the angel that makes you hide a candy bar in your pocket when your children are not around.
Such a moment happened to me many, many years ago. I went to the neighborhood grocery store and bought a Hershey bar for a nickel and then went to my sister-in-law’s house, and honked the horn. She came running out to the car thinking something was wrong. I yelled at her to lock the door and gave her half of the candy and we both slid down in the seat because her children were trying to see inside the car. We laughed ‘til we almost choked.
We just talked about that the other day and laughed and laughed. To this day we have never felt guilty. I could not find any where a picture of a nickel Hershey bar, but I found this picture of female workers making the wrappers for them. It shows on this post that they were all wearing high heels. Oh the five pound candy bar costs forty nine dollars at the store now.

2 comments: