Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Teenage Job On My Fourteenth Year




I walked out to the garden this morning because I thought I saw some pink tomatoes. I also thought it was impossible. You almost always have to wait until after the Fourth Of July to be blessed with those long awaited juicy sunshine kissed fruit. When I got to the garden I saw four pink tomatoes. We will have ripe tomatoes in just three or four days. Bacon and tomato sandwiches will be our meals for supper for quite a few days.
While I was looking at the plants in the garden I saw tassels on the sweet corn. For some reason, once again I was hurled on my time machine to my fourteenth year. I was loaded up into a farm truck along with many other teenage girls to “detassel” corn. Detasseling is a very hard job. You have to pull the tassel out every other row if I remember right, so it will pollinate. Most always the corn stalk was taller than I was. If you were careful you could bend it a little so you could reach the tassel. You certainly did not want to break the stalk because your work was checked. Farmers of hybrid sweet corn had to have the detasseling done to get the best crops.
The girls had a song that they sang early in the morning on the way to the fields, when every one was feeling chipper. It was called “We are the detasseling girls, we wear our hair in curls…..” Then I forget the rest of the words.
The tasseling job was hot, sweaty, and very hard work. As you walked the rows of corn stalks the leaves were sharp and often cut my mouth and skin. Young ladies had to put their modesty in their hip pocket and use the corn stalks for protection when they needed to go to the bathroom. The foreman of these crews were men, so it was a little embarrassing.
There was a mold that grew on corn that was black and gray and soft and mushy; it was called smut. If you didn’t see that mold before you picked the tassel you got a hand full of the mush. Then there were rogues. Those had to be chopped out. They were very tall and I think they were not good to be left in the field.
I remember days when I didn’t think that buying my own school clothes was worth all that work. The thing that kept me going was the ability to pick out my own wardrobe. Later when I was shopping it was worth it!
The one thing I remember is my sweet mother. Every day she put fresh sheets and pillow cases on my bed. They smelled so sweet and felt wonderful after a shower.
My children detasseled corn when they were old enough and when my nephew stayed with us, he was put on a truck too! As a matter of fact, my daughter got impetigo from the cuts of the corn leaves. This job sounds like a hand me down legacy to me. Nothing like good fresh air and hard work.
Just a note I thought was interesting. I looked to see if they still detassel corn. They certainly do. But oh my, so much differently. They are taken by bus to the fields, they wear rain coats, gloves, and safety glasses. They still suffer from cuts on their faces from the corn leaves. It is boys that generally do the detasseling and they do every four rows, which may have been what we did too. The tractors have arms that extend for the fourteen year olds to grab the tassels. The article did say that many of the boys drop out of the job because it was too hard and hot to do. Two hundred fifty kids can detassel twelve hundred acres of corn in today’s fields. We barely got six hundred acres done. I remember my check was one hundred three dollars for that month. What a difference fifty years make!!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog -- you are forcing me to call up memories I hadn't thought of in years:
    We are detasseling girls
    We wear our hair in curls
    We wear our dungarees rolled up above our knees
    We wear our Daddy's shirts
    We are the biggest flirts
    And when it comes to men,
    we do the best we can!

    Was that it? (men and can don't exactly rhyme but that's what I remember.) It came to me slowly -- one line at a time... so fun.

    Denise got fired (I think it was the first day) because she didn't feel good and had to go sit in the truck - haha. I never did get to ride on one of the machines -- always walking for me -- and getting my eye slit with one of the corn leaves. Still, all in all, good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that song is right - I'm sitting here singing it to myself!!! I did ride machines at least 1 year - my crew chief was Lee Miller (the attorneys) daughter - I think her name was Patti?? or somthing like that!!! It was fun being above the corn so you didn't get cut quite so bad!!! I can also remember making in the $200 range - good money for way back then!!!

    ReplyDelete