Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Lewis Hotel




You know we take every things for granted now days. I have heard that quote over and over, but you know who ever started that very memorable sentence was so smart. The thing I am talking about today is “going out to eat.” We do it all the time, more than we should, probably according to our waistlines and heart conditions, but regardless of that, it is not a big deal to go out and eat.
I have told you many stories about growing up on the farm, and eating fresh produce and raising our own meat. I told you about moving to town and how my brother and I loved it. I have told you about going to church every Sunday.
Today I am going to tell you about the first time I every went out to eat. It makes me so mad I cannot remember why we did. We just did, or there was an occasion I can’t remember, but what I do remember was that it was traumatic to me and even more so, my mom laughed at my shyness.
We went to the Lewis Hotel for lunch after church this particular Sunday. It was the most beautiful place I had ever seen. All the tables had white linen tablecloths and napkins on them. The tables were set with crystal goblets and small candles in the middle of the table. The ceilings were so high that you could hardly see the hand crafted squares of crown molding. It was so beautiful.
I was just horrified because the hostess seated us in the middle of the dining room. There were tables by the windows I just couldn’t understand why my mom and dad decided to sit where everybody could watch us. I told my mom everybody was watching us and she laughed and said maybe they were thinking the same thing because I had been watching them watching us. Regardless, what a memorable day, the food tasted like sawdust because I was so nervous, but once again another memory from my childhood.

2 comments:

  1. It was a fasinating place, wasn't it? I got to drink tea! I think that's where I fell in love with pea salad. You know. The kind of salad with peas and chunks of cheese in it.

    It was also just down the street from Simmon's Pool Hall. I also developed a curiousity about that place too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes you did, if I remember correctly that started your career as a hustler in the navy!

    ReplyDelete