Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Miss Penny




Miss Penny taught arithmetic. I don’t remember what kind of arithmetic, but I think it was general math in the eighth grade.
I am not going to write a long post about her, but I was used to the kind and soft spoken Miss Fransico in seventh grade to the harsh and loud almost yelling Miss Penny.
My mother, however forewarned me about her because Miss Penny had been her teacher, and my sister’s. My sister was eleven years older than me and my mother was
Thirty two years older than me so there you have it. Miss Penny knew how to add and subtract and you had better catch on and quickly or you were not the lucky soul to have her give you one of her smiles that were handed out like hundred dollar bills.
Miss Penny had had breast cancer and had no prosthesis so she was constantly reaching for her bra or slip strap. My mother told me the reason for this and even at that young age I thought that someone should invent something to help ladies that had that kind of cancer.
Well that’s about it for Miss Penny, I was able to do Algebra by the time I got to ninth grade so she still knew her stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I missed out on having Miss Penny for a teacher. She taught 8th grade math and retired the year before I got there. I would have liked for her to have taught all of us - Mom, Rosie, you, and me. Wow! How old was she?

    Miss Fransico was my favorite. She was my 7th grade math teacher. She told us in the beginning of the year that one day we would thank her for being so intense about equations. Who knew!! I thank her everyday!

    ReplyDelete