Sunday, June 20, 2010

Double Dog Dares

All my life I had to do the proper thing. My brother and I had to follow the rules. At times we had had enough and broke the rules, but not to the point we landed in jail.

When I was in school it was very apparent especially when I was in high school that I was not a student that would break the rules like playing hooky. They would beg me and say that no one would catch me, but I knew my parents would. I don’t think my close friends skipped school, but many others did.

When I was an older adult, I had a friend that had a sparkle in her eye and she used it to urge me to do things that I was nervous to do. She used to think I needed to break out of my “shell” she said, so she would say, “I double dog dare you.” Well about three years ago, she and her friend took me out to supper and then to a karaoke club. When we went to this club there was this good looking cowboy singing up a storm. I sang a song and then he sang another song. My friend said, “I double dog dare you to ask him to dance.” Oh rats! I hated when she did that. So, of course, I had to do it. Guess what? He danced with me. After that, he kept asking me to dance. Then a year or so later, we got married. Then of course, she said, “See that’s what happens when you have a backbone.”

As the years went by she got terribly ill. Her backbone all but disappeared she was in such terrible pain. One day I went to visit her. She could hardly sit up straight. I said, “You know what? I double dog dare you to get a backbone like you used to have. I will not live longer than you and that’s all there is to it!” The days have gone slowly by, she lost tons of weight, but she has gained three pounds, she is smiling, and she told me the other day that she can feel that old backbone feeling she used to have. Now I have to double dog dare her to get all well. Now that’s what I call, “Alright!!”


1 comment: