Friday, June 18, 2010

Personal Space









I worked in long term care for about twenty years. Many of those years were associated with care for and managing units for those people who were afflicted with Alzheimer’s Disease.

I taught classes to those who were going to be doing direct care. I designed units in brand new homes. I, along with other people designed care plans that would give the best possible care for these people. I also scheduled meetings for the caretakers that were at home with their loved ones. Those people at times, were at their wits ends. They were not aware of daycare for their loved ones, or felt guilty about letting themselves have some free time all to themselves.

Alzheimer people frequently wander. They, many times are looking for their home they had when they were youngsters, or they think that they need to go to work. This often happens when people have worked at the same job for years and years. These folks need to be deterred so they don’t leave the facility that they are in.

I remember one lady that kept asking me when the train was coming. She wanted to go visit her sister. A lot of background work is needed to help these folks. This particular lady visited her sister on a weekly basis using a train for transportation.

Another thing, and there are lots of things that are needed and used in training of aides and nurses, is the need of these folks to maintain their personal space. One of the reasons for this, is that Alzheimer patients tend to get agitated if this is violated. Many folks need to be fed so the silverware is violating their space. One needs to take it very slow and talk softly to get the patient fed.
I saw real pictures like these every once in awhile while working. Once I saw it, I fixed it. Hopefully, the lessons I taught stuck with them.

Yesterday I went to a new doctor. I couldn’t believe it, but he invaded my personal space. I didn’t say anything, but I kept edging away from him while he was talking. I now know on a personal basis how the dementia people feel when their space is invaded. Isn’t it interesting how we learn something new every day?


1 comment: