Monday, November 2, 2009

Back To Cherokee Starting With The Centennial in 1956




I was born in Cherokee in 1944. I was going through the Cherokee Daily Times and I think I missed a lot of the good stuff. This paper was the Centennial issue. I will cover a lot of things that have been newsworthy over the years, including my ancestors.
The Centennial Paper was 78 pages long. That amount of pages was extraordinary. The secondary headline was as follows: “Let us show in this Year’s Centennial Commemoration, Our Pride In this Wonderful Community of Ours and it’s Marvelous Development Since the Little Band of Settlers from Milford, Massachusetts First Came into Our Valley in 1856.
The celebration was three days long: June 3-5. There were so many activities scheduled for all three days. A multitude of class reunions, church services, and store fronts decorated with nostalgic memorabilia.
I am going to relate a lot of the articles written in this paper. One of my favorites was titled “Dot Vindo Caput”

John Wickert a hard working inoffensive German,who lives in a small house west of the railroad track, has been of late much annoyed by some wicked boys whose time would be more profitably employed at school.
On Saturday about two o’clock they threw a large stone through a window breaking it all to pieces, or as the German himself forcibly expressed it “make dot vindo all go dead, killed mine glass in liddle bits.” He explained to the city marshal, and if the miscreant repeat their naughtiness they will land in the caboose.
A child sitting near the window narrowly escaped being hurt. This article was written January 17, 1878. '
How different we write articles now. We probably would have said, if anything, Vandalism reported at the railroad housing development. No injuries reported.
I am going to write several stories that were reported like this one. I enjoy reading these and I hope you will too, especially if you lived there or went to school there for a short or long time.
A lot of the centennial activities were held at the Tomahawk Field.
Interestingly enough as I was reading this special edition, the editors mixed the current events with the one hundred year old events. For instance I was reading about a lady that had fallen down her basement stairs, taken to the hospital, had x-rays, but the results had not been given to the press. Oh my, that’s different.
Will talk to you tomorrow, with some more fun news from the old days of Cherokee!

No comments:

Post a Comment