Sunday, November 22, 2009

Young People May Be Swinging To The Forties













As most of you know, Fran and I usually go out on one of the weekend nights to sing karaoke. Once in awhile we go out on both nights, but it is getting more difficult for me to do that. Last weekend we did go out on both evenings. Much to my surprise, we heard some exception to the rules music. The young people like the rock and roll I can’t stand; I know it’s hard for me to change. The older people either like the fifties rock and roll or the classic country. Classic country is Fran’s favorite. My mother taught me to enjoy all kinds of music and I frequently thank her for that. This weekend one gal sang Billy Holiday blues and jazz. Wow this is like jalapeƱos in the chili. It really jazzed it up, no pun intended. Then there was a gal there that sang old music from the southern plantation era of the black slaves. It was so sad, yet beautiful. Then much to my surprise, this music made me swing around in my chair, Tommy Dorsey big band music playing the Charleston and the “kids” dancing to it. How cool, except I just really really wanted to get up and show them how to do it right! While I was watching them I remembered the day that my mother showed me how to do the Charleston. She essentially grew up during the flapper days and could really dance. My mother was the disciplinarian, mother, not friend and church goer not dancer. That was the second time she surprised me; the first when she danced the jitter-bug with me one day when I got home from school. I sure did love that lady, and every once in a while she just amazed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment