Thursday, November 19, 2009

Breakfast When We Were Little




I was sitting here grinning to myself while I was listening to Maggie and Fran play. I thought, “what in the world can I write about anymore?” I sometimes, no, often think that I have written about every subject there is to write about the past and present. The reason I grinned was I suddenly thought about what mom would serve us for breakfast when we were little. As a matter of fact, when Keith was here that is one thing that we did visit about a little, and he and Linda had this for breakfast one morning; Shredded Wheat, not the little ones, not the frosted ones, but the great big ones. The ones that pretty much look like bales of hay and feel like hay when you scrunch it with your hands in order to get it to fit in the cereal bowl. This was a really cheap cereal and was absolutely excellent with whipping cream and lots of sugar on it. (I know, but that’s how we ate then, and it was delicious.)
One of my favorites that mom made was cinnamon toast and cocoa. This was a meal in itself. The cinnamon toast was made of homemade bread which was an inch thick at least. I can smell it and almost taste it now. The cocoa was made of cocoa, whole milk and sugar. Oh it was foamy, I don’t know how she did that but oh it was good. There were some days that were different; she gave us Postum. It was to me pretend coffee. The computer says that they quit making Postum in March of 2008. Shoot, that’s too bad, I was going to buy some to see if it tasted the same as it used to. Oatmeal, of course, was a staple for the grown ups, and for us kids. Mom would dress it up for us with brown sugar and raisons and cream. Are you hearing cream a lot in this post? I do not remember her having bacon and eggs, ham and eggs, etc. I can remember Mother talking about her mother fixing that however. The one thing I know we Never had, was biscuits and gravy. Imagine the culture shock when I moved to the south, Biscuits and gravy on every menu! It is very good, but I still love my cinnamon toast and hot cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment