Thursday, November 12, 2009

Feelings Of Urgency




The other day I was talking to my brother on Yahoo Messenger. He wanted to see how I was feeling and just general visiting. I told him that Fran and I were freezing potatoes for the freezer. Keith made a remark that made me smile, he said, “You would have been comfortable in the 1880’s that you have been writing about this last few days.
I told him that I would except for the long skirts and blouses. I would have to have shorts and pants to wear and that would not have been approved of!
A few years ago I had this urgent feeling that I had to buy a house and have it paid for before I retired. I did that. On the month of the final payment, my husband left. Oh, was I lucky to have a house that was paid for!
This year I have these urgent feelings that I needed both of the freezers full. Keith asked me if I was paranoid about anything, I said, “ no but if you live in the country and can’t get into town you need food, water, gasoline, lamps and lamps oil, candles, battery operated radio, and extra tanks of propane.” We have a generator and have hooked up our camper to that as well as the house. It could be that I am a human wooly worm this year, I just feel in my bones that this winter is going to be a doozy. A lot of people in Missouri and other places believe that wooly worms predict the severity of winter approaching. If the head and tail are black the winter will be severe. If the worm is more of an orange color, the winter season will be mild. I have no clue if that is substantiated, but the people swear by it. The ice storms that we have are worse than snow at times. The ice falls on branches and the power lines. We are surrounded by timber and have lost power several times in the last year.
My hope is this: a nice mild winter and our food will last a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment