Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Fearless Warrior



It is often said, that a man protects and provides for his family. My man is no exception. He provides for his family, mainly me, but the protection thing has been lacking or I guess I should say not really needed until just lately.
Armadillos are strange animals that have invaded our neighborhood. Armadillos are generally thought of as being in the south of the United States, like Texas or Oklahoma comes to my mind. As far as I am concerned, they are one of the ugliest animals I have ever seen. They have over 2000 scales just on their head! I would like to meet the person that thought it would be interesting to see how many scales they have on their head. They sound like a gardener’s helper because they eat insects and all kinds of things that get in gardens that eat plants. I want to tell you all about that if in fact you don’t know much about these horrible animals. They very much are like ant eaters, they have extremely long claws and dig big holes in your yard looking for these insects. They dig such big holes they are dangerous to my health, like twisting my ankle while walking in the yard. Our yard is not the only yard in this beautiful neighborhood that is being ravaged by these beasts.
The neighborhood men have set up a vigilante against these believe it or not; mammals! I cannot imagine my mother looking like an armadillo!
Well there was nothing to it that Fran had to get a rifle because the “things” were under the house and had potential of ruining the plumbing and wiring. So after a lengthy background check Fran got his rifle. Then there was target practice when we got home. Surprisingly enough he was an excellent shot. So the big night came, you could hear the armadillo outside by the house, I heard it first, then Maggie, finally Fran. Maggie jumped up on the back of the couch, Fran ran outside with his trusty rifle and the armadillo, of course, ran under the house.
This has been happening three days running with no luck. The rifle has been put away, mainly, Fran says because Maggie scares them away.
Today I read on the computer that if you put out moth balls around and under your house, it will keep the armadillos away. Even Windex will work to keep the horrible things away because the section of brain that “smells” things have bigger percentages of room than ours does. Hmm, moth balls versus a rifle and expensive ammunition. I think the next time before a large purchase I might look up the solution on the computer first.

No comments:

Post a Comment