Monday, November 16, 2009

The Good Old Paste Board Box





My friend and I were talking the other day about newlyweds trying to start out where their parents finished up. I guess I was a little surprised to find out that she, too had been poor as a church mouse about the same time I was. I said something about Goodwill furniture and yard sale furniture and she said, “I thought you were poor, I used big paste board boxes!” I laughed and laughed and said, “Well I did too and I covered them with towels so my company couldn’t tell that they were boxes.” Of course, that was baloney, you would have to be blind not to be able to tell, but they definitely looked better.
By the time I was eighteen we were able to afford brand new furniture. It was plastic. We got what they called it then, a davenport that laid down and made a bed therefore being a sofa bed. It had a really bad seam in the middle and was very uncomfortable. The style was country western. It had half a wagon spoke on each side of the sofa. We also got a chair, a coffee table and two end tables. This whole living room full of furniture cost one hundred and forty nine dollars. We had to make payments on it, but we thought we were living in style. We got this furniture at a store called Gambles. It really specialized in hardware supplies more than furniture.
When we got the “new” furniture, one of our paste board boxes was moved into the bedroom for a bedside table. Interesting, I was recycling almost fifty years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment