Friday, November 6, 2009

Dennis The Menace





I thought I would use the majority of this month to cover the centennial of Cherokee, Iowa over fifty years ago. As I was going through this fragile piece of newsprint, I was reading the comics as well. Well there is nothing funnier to me than Dennis The Menace. This particular comic was so appropriate for the economy of 2009.
Dennis and his mother were walking out of the bank. Dennis has a terrible scowl on his face while he is hanging on to his mother’s hand.
He said, “ It is really dumb to give those guys all your money and all they give you is a stupid little book”
Huh? We might laugh, but things were the same in 1956 evidently; at least in Dennis’ eyes.
The comics in that paper almost brought tears to my eyes. I loved the comics in those days. Why? Because they were funny and you could follow them from day to day or week to week. Comics were little miniature stories that were cute. Al Capp was a fantastic cartoonist. I am sure that some of you remember him. The cartoonist, Hank Ketchum for Dennis died in 2001. He made Dennis an imp which most mothers could relate to.
Some of us were poor in those days and could not afford wrapping paper if we could afford to give someone a gift. Comics were used to wrap a gift. They were used so frequently that no one knew whether you could afford paper or not. Once again I am sitting here smiling. Yes they were the good old days. The newspaper was generally read by young and old front to back.

No comments:

Post a Comment