Wednesday, November 4, 2009

You Just Can't Go Home!





I grew up in my little home town, and had lots of friends. People would always say hi to me as I would be walking down the street. Older people never knew me because I had grown so much. I could never understand that. My mother tried to explain to me, but I really didn’t care, I was just curious.
I left Cherokee for several years and went back for my father’s funeral. I met some people I graduated with and they didn’t know me. That really made me feel sad.
I had these same thoughts the other day when I was working on the centennial articles. I thought, “I wonder what the hospital looked like or was different than it is now.” That also made me feel sad. I guess I am just a nostalgia nut. I found out by looking up the Cherokee archives that the old hospital is now the parking lot space for the new hospital. “Oh, that is just so sad.” I have to chuckle when I say that because my mom used to chide me for not wanting things to change. Hope you like this picture of Sioux Valley Memorial Hospital.
My mother stayed ten days there after I was born. Then she had to be taken home by ambulance. They had no real ambulance so they used a hearse. Oh no! My, times have changed. The "new" hospital was built two years after I was born.

1 comment:

  1. Any idea where this hospital was located? Never ever gave it a thought. Only remember the current one. Didn't know they were building a new one.

    ReplyDelete