Monday, December 7, 2009

The Ball




The other day when we went shopping for the gifts I was trying to buy for my three little grandchildren. Fran and I stopped at a place called a Bargain Barn. In this building they house an assortment of items that were warehouse dent and bents, and food, both canned and frozen. They even have little bins of tools, bolts of yard goods, and seasonal things, of course this time of year there were tables and tables of Christmas things.

Of course, I couldn’t find what I wanted. As a matter of fact, I was looking for two things. As I was rounding the corner, I found a tiny little section of “dog toys.” Our little princess almost always gets a little toy when we come home from our travels.

That day was no different except she was with us. I took it out to the car and she pretty much lifted her head in the air and snubbed me. I was very sarcastic to her and she just calmly ignored me and laid down and went to sleep.

When we got home Fran threw the ball down on the ground and she just grabbed it in her mouth and carried it in the house. That was the beginning of the end of our marriage as it once was.

The ball is nonstop squeak. It squeaks for long periods of time. When Maggie has it in her mouth you can almost see her smile. She kind of chews it in her mouth so it will make short squeaky sounds and then she bites it really hard and it continues to squeal long after she lets it go.

I told Fran that the ball would last about fifteen minutes. Maggie has a history of toys;  they  generally last between fifteen minutes and two or three days. The only things that last are softballs and hunks of rope. You have to remember that she is just a little shitzuh and poodle. She is the chewing maniac of the world. However, this ball has survived Maggie’s chewing for five days. She loves the ball. Fran does not like the ball. He is always saying, “SHE bought you the ball, take it to her.” Twice a day as if on a schedule, Maggie gets her ball and drops it at Fran’s feet; they play, and play, and play. Then she drops it, and gets herself a drink, and flops on the floor and goes sound asleep.  I know that Fran still loves me, but I also know that Fran will probably go with me when I shop for a new toy for Maggie!

Who says you can’t have fun on a budget, the ball was $.89.

No comments:

Post a Comment