Thursday, December 3, 2009

Romance?




Yesterday I was talking about my Uncle Les. Well, at some point he met a lady called Marcella. She was a waitress at the Lewis Hotel. The Lewis Hotel was a fancy place in Cherokee. I put a post up about that awhile back. It was the first place my parents ever took us out to eat. It had white linen table cloths and the whole schmeer.
I do not know the whole in and out of their dating, but I just cannot see my uncle going in there for a meal.
My mom used to chuckle because Marcella would call out to the farm and Les would call into town, but there just wasn’t much going on. All of a sudden they decided to get married.
Uncle Leslie and Aunt Marcella moved into town. My grandparents had an apartment in the upper part of their house so that’s where they lived. I will never forget it because Marcella had plastic over their furniture. Uncle Les would get the dust all over him from the grinding.
One day when I was “visiting” I noticed that the slender Marcella wasn’t slender any more, so the curious child that I was I asked her about her tummy. She was very honest about it and told me that she was going to have a baby. I bet she was really really happy that I didn’t question her any further. They only had one baby and it is a shame I don’t visit with him only by mail just once in awhile.
The picture you see is Uncle Les and Aunt Marcella on their acreage when we were on our way to Disney World about thirty years ago. Yes I save a few things along life’s trips. My aunt is gone now, but my Uncle calls her mom and talks about her every once in awhile. Their romance was a quiet one, but they were married for years and years.

1 comment:

  1. Just one baby, huh? I thought you were going to comment on her being fat (probably from cooking for Les). lol

    ReplyDelete