Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I learned To Spew From My Dad






I can remember my dad’s quirky sense of humor especially when I was a teenager. There was nothing that I loved better than making my dad laugh.

I found out early though, that dad choked easily when he would laugh when something happened without him knowing that it was going to happen. For instance if
Dad was watching Groucho Marks he knew that he was going to laugh when the duck would come down with the answer to a question. The laugh, however, was more like a chuckle. Dad knew he was going to laugh when he watched Jackie Gleason being silly as well as Red Skelton.

When I was a teenager I would often come skipping into the house with a joke for my dad. This was one that almost landed him in the hospital. I said, “Hey dad, did you hear about the guy that got stuck in the revolving door, door, door door?” There was coffee all over the lunch table. I thought it was hilarious until I saw that dad’s face was purple and mother was looking at me like I was a killer.

For the most part Dad was a pleasant human being that people loved and smiled the better part of the time that he was awake even when he was reading. I think of that when I read, I smile too. I must be a little related to him!!


2 comments:

  1. That is funny! I have a siste who is known to spew when she laughs. So we are constantly trying to make her laugh when all of us sisters get together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many girls are there in your family?

    ReplyDelete