Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Sweater







I always thought I was a pretty good kid, but then one year I was totally rotten. No one knew it but me and I think that a confession would have made me feel sooooo much better.

Mom had asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I was fifteen. I told her that I wanted a Mohair sweater. They were the softest most beautiful sweaters in the world. They came in pastels and made even not really pretty girls look heavenly.

The Christmas tree was put up about two weeks before Christmas, then the presents were put around the tree about a week before Christmas. I was home alone. I felt a gift that was soft. It HAD to be my sweater! I was so excited I couldn’t stand it, but I had to know what color mom got for me. You have to understand that I had never broke the Christmas gift rule before, Never! I took the soft wrapping paper and tore just a tiny little bit so I could see the color. Oh, much to my dismay, I tore where she had the end tucked in, so I had to tear a bigger piece. I can still remember how the nerves were jumping up and down my spine, I was so scared I was going to get caught. I got some scotch tape and tried to repair it as good as I could. Then I rearranged the other gifts so it wouldn’t show. The only thing that I hadn’t counted on was that Mom distributed the gifts and may see what I had done. One more thing that I had to do was show fake surprise when I opened my sweater. It was so disappointing. I really learned a lesson that Christmas. I just love surprises. As long as it is wrapped even in a sack with a bow on it, I am totally excited!!

Oh by the way, those sweaters were so itchy they were almost impossible to wear a whole day at school, nobody told me.

5 comments:

  1. Good lesson indeed.
    I agree, those sweaters look beautfiul and are too itchy to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. but they were all the rage, mine was pastel pink and just too beautiful, to look at, that's all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....My 36 year old daughter confessed to me this year that she peeked at her gifts one year to see if we got her what she had asked for. She was also about 15. She too had to act very surprised. She said she felt so bad about what she did it spoiled her whole Christmas and vowed to never peek at her gifts again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis, I can still feel the "sick" feeling I had that whole Christmas. Never ever happened again.

      Delete
    2. Angela said the exact same thing. Hard lesson learned!

      Delete