Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Exciting Day At Sears




I was thirty two years old and I had been working for Sears and Roebuck for three years. I was in charge of the “soft goods” departments. Some of these items were towels, sheets, pillowcases, draperies, bedspreads etc.
Elvis was coming to my city to perform. My store had been selected to provide these items for the hotel where Mr. Presley would be staying. We had been given a list of all the things, materials, colors etc that he liked.
The bedding was put on the bed, the draperies hung and the linens put in the bathroom to make a beautiful display.
Needless to say we were all nervous. This was a big deal for my town, we had had Kenny Rogers perform, but that’s all I can remember. Now you all know my rememberer is broke so there may have been more. I needed to have Fran help me with Kenny Rogers name for heaven’s sake.
People were assigned to do different things at the hotel. Of course, I was the last to hear about the death of Elvis because I was working. All of the special choices, work and worry was all for naught. Elvis did not arrive in my town to enjoy not only the people, but all of my beautiful
things that I had supplied for his room.
I am sure that a relatively small city especially compared to Los Vegas was not a big deal to him and his entourage, but it sure was to us.
Many many of the Elvis hits were my favorites especially his Gospel songs, which he originally started with when he was young. I also liked the slower songs he sang when he was older. Don’t get me wrong, I loved some of the rock and roll he sang, but I think “Don’t Be Cruel” was my favorite. I could really dance to that one. Elvis music will probably live down the centuries. At our wedding just a year and half ago, my twelve year old grandson sang, “Jail House Rock.” Maybe.
In Memory of Elvis Presley
The King Of Rock and Roll
Died August 16, 1977

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete